395mn or 365nm or 465nm
- 455nm, for A/C leak detection, need amber glass to enhance fluorescence
- 395nm, works on universal AC dye, Dye-Lite All-in-One dye and Dye-Lite water base dye for coolant.Do not need amber glass to enhance florescence
- 365nm, no visible light, works especially on difficult-to-fluoresce yellow dyes, detects Dirty Diesel Engine Oil Leaks
395mn or 365nm
- Scorpions fluoresce better under 395nm
- Scorpions may see 395nm light and run
- Scorpions don’t seem to see 365nm light
Oil Painting Inspection
- Dark purple indicates repairs or over-paint
- Old resin varnish appears as green film
- Older restoration is lighter
- Bluish-white spots indicate lining compound
- Very small blue dots are dust
- Masking varnish to hide restoration will fluoresce, but it is noticeable
- Pigments fluoresce different colors
- Zinc oxide pigments, 1850, bright canary yellow
- Leaded zinc oxide, 1855-96, yellowish white
- Lithopone, 1901, white
- Titanium dioxide, 1920, rose to rose-violet
- Teeth and egg shells fluoresce bright orange or yellow, stronger than bones
- Middle Eocene through Pliocene mammals exhibit UV light fluorescence
- Few Paleozoic or Mesozoic vertebrates were found to fluoresce
- Pleistocene mammals did not exhibit fluorescence
- Gar fish scales often fluoresce
- Dry rodent urine glows a blue-white if fresh.
- Dry rodent urine glows a yellow-white if old.
- Rodent hair glows blue-white and is easily identified on sacks or intermixed with food grains.
- Adult lice fluoresce yellow-green.
- Nits glow opalescent white.
Early Stage Ringworm Detection
- fungi causing this ringworm disease exhibit fluorescence.
- Yellow to greenish-yellow at the base of the hair indicates presence of fungal spores.
Transgenic Plant Monitoring using GFP
- Introducing the green fluorescent protein (GFP) into a plant
- GFP fluoresces green under UV 395nm
- Many wild plants fluorescence reddish purple
- Old paper fluoresces faintly whitish, yellowish or grayish
- Modern paper glows bright bluish white
- Smudged areas indicate erasures
- New touch-up on watercolors and gouache has the same indications as on oil paintings.
- 365nm shows blue, green color marks better on paper document
- Dye of new thread will fluoresce white
- Polyester and rayon will fluoresce under UV light.
- Since Polyester will not absorb cotton dye, it is important to identify polyester before production to insure fabric consistency.
- Surfaces of ancient marble fluoresce yellow-green
- Freshly cut marble surface emits bright violet fluorescence
- Calcite fluoresces dull orange
- Some only fluoresce under short-wave UV
- Real amber fluoresces, Copal (young amber) will not
- Darker ambers hardly fluoresce, but flecks of lighter color in it will
- Common fluorescent colors are yellow, blue, green and orange
- Certain glass fluoresces under UV
- Cracks fluoresce brightly
- Repair adhesives are visible under UV light